Monday, August 3, 2009

Afton State Park


On Saturday I went out to Afton State Park East of the cities. It was quite beautiful. A nice mix of bluffs and prairie. It was a lot like the other state parks I've hiked through with one major exception.. Pine trees. The others have endless seas of big wood forests, but no Pines that I can recall. I stopped at a bench and had a seat and listened to the wind whistling through their branches. The sound is somehow mystical to me. A million images generated by the sound. I just sat there listening with my eyes closed. I wish I could've stayed for hours... or better yet.. had a mini recorder to capture it so I may listen to it before bed. I kept the hike fairly short, only about 4 miles or so. There is 20 miles of hiking trails at Afton, so I'm looking forward very much to returning soon.

While I was on the trail I began to ponder, "Is this just a passing phase? Can I really see myself hiking the rest of my life? Or am I just into hiking just now.. at this moment?" I came to the conclusion that I've always loved nature and that I never had many opportunities in my adult life to embrace nature. But over the past few months, I find myself longing for more time in nature.. and so I feel as though I won't tire of nature.. but rather.. tire of being in the cities. I see myself moving out into a more rural area in time. I think I would like that immensely.

In other news.. Irish Fest is coming up this weekend! I can hardly wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment