Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Subzero Hiking

Last weekend I went up to Grand Rapids, MN to my friends family's house for New Years. While I was up there, I went to Glen's Army Navy Store and bought some Under Armor socks and a shirt, some new waterproof boats and gloves. After that.. I was ready to hike. I went and put everything on and walked down to the lake that has been frozen for some time now and started walking across it toward a trail on the opposite side. It was around -10ºF out, but I felt nice and warm. It's strange crossing a large frozen over area like a lake.. It looks like a frozen wasteland, where nothing could possibly be living... and to confirm this.. I didn't see any other signs of life out there. There was a good foot of snow on top of the ice, which made it pretty difficult to walk through. I really need to invest in some snow shoes. I reached the trail a short while later, which was a bit easier to hike on, as there had been plenty of cross country skiers in the area that left plenty of tracks for me to follow in. As I've said before.. the whole area seemed devoid of life.
I took a few photographs with a new camera I got, but I still need more practice with it. I didn't realize how exhilarating and exhausting hiking out in this kind of weather would be. After I had gone a ways down the trail, I found a snow covered stump and knocked the snow off of it and had a seat. I just sat there, listening to the silence of the frozen air. It was a nice break for the ears after having to listen to my footsteps echoing through the area for the past 45minutes or so. A short while later I heard a noise. I turned to find there was a woodpecker still hanging around, searching for food. I didn't hike the whole trail, as the sun was beginning to go down and I knew it was about to get a whole lot colder. I began making my way back towards the lake when I heard a noise coming up from behind me. It happened to be a cross country skier out enjoying himself. I don't know if I've mentioned it on here previously, but I've often found that people out on the hiking trails tend to be a lot more friendly than the everyday people you pass on the streets. Since I've started hiking back in June, I've must have said "Hello" to hundreds of people.. or "How's it going?" It's generally short, but it's nice.
Why can't we be like this to the people we see everyday. I've always lived around cities and anytime I'm in their downtown areas, everyone turns into self-centered, paranoid, rude people. Everyone keeps to themselves, and avoids eye contact. I think that is a huge issue we as a society have struggled with for some time. We don't know people.. and we don't want to know people is often our way of thought. I'm just as guilty as anyone when it comes to this.. Every so often I try and get away from these ways. Say hello to strangers and smile. Again.. it's a small gesture.. but to so many, it's a big deal. It doesn't take two seconds to nod and smile or just say "Hi". But we as a society refuse to perform this way.
Out on the trails, it's completely different though. The only reason I can give as to why this is, would be that they figure we have something in common. "Hey! They're out hiking too. I think I'll say 'Hi'." I don't think we should have to have something in common with someone, just to say a simple "Hi". I mean.. we all have something in common. We're all living in this world. Why not try and make it a little bit more friendly.
So anyway, I stayed off to the side of the trail so that the skier could pass more easily, and rather than just saying "Hello" and being on his way, he actually stopped. We talked for a short bit about how you can't let the weather keep you inside all winter and how it's still fun, no matter how harsh the conditions are. We told each other to have a good night. That was probably one of the most pleasant experiences I've had with another stranger out on a trail. Makes me think he probably had the same mentality as others. "Well he's out hiking. I should say 'Hi'." But since it was below zero, he must have been thinking more or less, "Wow! This guy is just as crazy as me out in this weather! I think I'll stop and talk for a bit".
As I headed back to the lake, I started noticing more and more people out on the ice, snowmobiling. There's a lot of crazy people up here in MN, and I'm glad to be one of them!

Later that night, I went back out to the lake to try and do some star gazing/star photography.. The photography didn't turn out well. But reading an old astronomy magazine about photographing night skies, it said to take lots of photos, but throw just as many away.. and so I did. It was about -20ºF now, but it was so peaceful. So very still. You could only hear a slight breeze coming from between the trees and sweeping across the lake. I was only out for about an hour, but it was definitely one of my favorite experiences in my life. The sky was so clear and full of stars. Oh! And I got to see Mars! It's out this time of the year. I loved being out in the cold.. but now I can't wait until spring comes so that I can get back to my longer treks across MN to other state parks. I really am looking forward to seeing all of the wildlife again. Maybe I'll see the white tailed hawk I named Henry at Afton again. Time will tell. I'm hoping to get out this weekend and do a bit more hiking!

Hope everyone is well and that their New Year is off to a good start.. And if it isn't, I still wish you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment